Agtech for Climate-Smart Dairy
There is currently an increase in global demand for animal protein that is estimated to grow 70% by 2050. This is an opportunity for milk-producing countries in LAC to supply domestic and foreign markets with dairy products. However, an increase in livestock production may have a significant environmental impact due to greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. In addition, climate change (cycles, rainfall patterns and intensive temperature) threatens production and increases the vulnerability of dairy production systems. To reduce these effects, these systems need better indicators of efficiency and productivity to enable a sustainable intensification of resource use, such as water, soil, and climate. This project seeks to develop digital tools to improve real-time information capture about production systems to enable a transition to climate-smart dairy farms.
The technological solution
The project will develop digital tools (a web platform, and applications for mobile devices and computers) to monitor productive, climate and management aspects of dairy farms in real-time to lead to climate-smart dairy farms (CSDF) in the region.
New capacities built for the dairy production sector in LAC and implementation of CSDF.
Establishment of a public-private network with the technical capacity to develop climate-smart dairy production.
Digital tools (a web platform, applications for mobile devices and computers), based on good practices, to manage climate-smart dairy farms.
Dairy farmers, technicians and extension workers trained in the use of technological tools for the sustainable management of dairy establishments.
Consensus on document of good practices reached by participant countries, specifically related to: pastures and crops, hygiene in milking, animal health, environment, animal reproduction, socioeconomic management, feeding, animal welfare, and inclement weather. Development of LECHECK.APP, an application based on the consensus document that helps producers and technicians to implement good practices in dairy farms. The purpose of LECHECK.APP is to improve productivity, guarantee milk quality, mitigate GHG production and adapt to climate change in order to achieve CSDF status. Technicians have started to be trained in the use of the app in different countries.
- 3,000 milk producers
- 20 organizations (coops, associations, clusters, and SMEs).
- 200 professionals and technicians from the dairy sector.
- 300 students from agricultural high schools and university programs about milk production.
- 10 milk processing companies and 25 municipal residents from Argentina, Uruguay, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Honduras, trained in the use of Agtech tools for milk production.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Fundación ArgenINTA (ARGENINTA) - Argentina
- Instituto Dominicano de Investigaciones Agropecuarias y Forestales (IDIAF) - República Dominicana
- Instituto Nacional de Investigación Agropecuaria (INIA) - Uruguay
- Instituto Nacional de Tecnología Agropecuaria (INTA) - Argentina
- Instituto Nacional de Innovación y Transferencia en Tecnología Agropecuaria (INTA) - Costa Rica
- Universidad Nacional de Córdoba (UNC-AR) - Argentina
- Cámara Hondureña de la Leche (CAHLE) - Honduras
- Fundación para el Fomento y Promoción de la Investigación y Transferencia de Tecnología Agropecuaria (FITTACORI) - Costa Rica
- Dirección Nacional Láctea - Ministerio de Producción y Trabajo de Argentina (DNL) - Argentina
- Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganadería (MAyG) - Argentina
- Clúster Lechero Regional (Clúster Lechero Regional) - Argentina
- Secretaría de Ganadería Lechería y Recursos Naturales del Ministerio de la Producción de Santa Fé (SGLyRN) - Argentina
- Sociedad de Productores de Leche de Florida (Sociedad de Productores de Leche de Florida) - Uruguay
- Tambero (Tambero.com) - Argentina
- Asociación de Productores de Leche de Arroyo Grande I.N.C (APLAG INC) - República Dominicana
- Cámara de Ganaderos Los Chiles (CGC) - Costa Rica