Agricultural water management platform 2030
One of the main challenges of the 21st century is feeding a growing population with fewer natural resources. Projections show that to feed a world population of 9 billion people in 2050 it would be necessary to increase food production by 70%. The main resource for food production is water. Agriculture, mainly irrigated agriculture, is the sector with the greatest extraction and use of water on the planet; however, the efficiency in the use of irrigation water in LAC is less than 40%; indicating that it is still possible to increase efficiency using new technologies and innovations.
In LAC, the implementation of programs to improve water use efficiency for irrigation is limited by the need to modernize irrigation technologies and generate capacities for capture, real-time monitoring and analysis of information. The objective of the project is to increase the efficiency in the use of water through the use of new irrigation technologies applied to the agricultural systems of LAC at two working scales: plot and hydrographic basin.
The technological solution
The project will implement pilot plots with new technological tools, such as the analysis of satellite images (Landsat, Sentinel, drones), field sensors (environmental, soil water availability), specific software (water delivery management), platforms for online consultation (MapServer on the internet), which allows to obtain information with high spatial and temporal resolution of production systems, transforming traditional irrigation management systems into high-precision systems.
- Increase water use efficiency by 50% through the use of new precision technologies.
- Increase crop production by 25% through timely irrigation.
- Create the Platform for Water Management in Agriculture 2030.
5,600 producers and technicians from institutions in the participating countries related with fruit, grain and pasture production.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Instituto de Investigaciones Agropecuarias (INIA) - Chile
- Corporación Colombiana de Investigación Agropecuaria (AGROSAVIA) - Colombia
- Instituto Nacional de Investigación Agropecuaria (INIA) - Uruguay
- Instituto Nacional de Tecnología Agropecuaria (INTA) - Argentina
- Universidad de La Serena (ULS) - Chile
- Dirección General de Irrigación de Argentina (DGI) - Argentina
- Universidad de Castilla - La Mancha (UCLM) - España
- Fundación ArgenINTA (ARGENINTA) - Argentina
- International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) - Colombia
- Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Tecnología Agraria y Alimentaria (INIA) - España
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (PUC) - Chile
- Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) - España
- Universidad de Concepción (UDEC CL) - Chile
- Agrisat Iberia S.L. (AGRISAT) - España
- Los Tordos S. en C. (Los Tordos) - Uruguay
- Universidad Nacional de San Juan (UNSJ) - Argentina
- Universidad Nacional de Río Negro (UNRN) - Argentina
- Corporación Autónomo Regional del Valle del Cauca (CVC) - Colombia
- Tecnoriego S.A. (TecnoRiego) - Argentina