2030-2050 Cocoa, Seed
Cocoa (Theobroma cacao L) is one of the main “commodities” marketed in the world as a raw material for the production of food, beverages and other industrial products. In Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), this crop has a historical history linked to millions of family producers in the Andean Region, Central America, the Caribbean and South (Brazil). This crop is key to food security, since it is the main source of income for producers, as well as a viable alternative to face adaptation to climate change to replace other crops (coffee and bananas). It has great potential for linking up with the private sector and developing new markets and marketing channels with premium value.
The LAC cocoa sector presents great challenges in the coming decades, especially in order to position itself in the segment of fine quality and aroma cocoa. There are challenges in the technological, organizational and institutional order. In the technological order, the most important challenge is increasing productivity with sustainability. Among them are the development of materials resistant to local pests, integrated disease management strategies (causing 30% to 40% of production losses), improving the management of the agroforestry cocoa system. the measurement of cadmium in the environment and in grains, the generation of key traceable information for quality certification and access to value markets.
The objective of this seed fund is to create a multi-agency cocoa platform that strengthens LAC's position as a net producer and exporter of quality cocoa. The platform will promote the exchange of knowledge and experiences and will facilitate the elaboration of a wide-ranging regional project, involving public-private, national, regional and international institutions, to comprehensively address technological, organizational and institutional issues of the value chain. cocoa. This platform will be identified as "Cacao 2030-2050".
The technological solution
Development of an interdisciplinary, multi-stakeholder cooperation platform that includes the largest number of actors in the cocoa value chain
- A proposal agreed between the member institutions of the platform
- A baseline document on the cocoa situation in the region
Farmers, technicians and researchers related to cocoa in the region
Sustainable Development Goals
- Escuela Politécnica del Litoral (ESPOL) - Ecuador
- Corporación Colombiana de Investigación Agropecuaria (AGROSAVIA) - Colombia
- Centro Agronómico Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza (CATIE) - Costa Rica
- International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) - Colombia
- FCIA - Bélgica
- Instituto Dominicano de Investigaciones Agropecuarias y Forestales (IDIAF) - República Dominicana
- Instituto Nacional de Innovación Agraria (INIA) - Perú
- Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Agropecuarias (INIAP) - Ecuador
- Instituto Nacional de Innovación y Transferencia en Tecnología Agropecuaria (INTA) - Costa Rica