Climate change is causing problems for the agricultural sector in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). In 2019 the La Araucanía region in Chile reported a water deficit of 70% during the summer period, while in Costa Rica a water deficit of up to 50% was reported in certain regions of the country. These anomalies affect the fruit quality and yield of the small family producers who do not have the technological tools to mitigate the effect of climate change. This project aims to generate a free access collaborative computer tool called OpenFruit, in order to effectively bring precision agriculture technologies, remote sensors and ICTs (Information and Communication Technologies) to small fruit growers and fruit consultants in Chile and the Costa Rica. The generated tool, in turn, will allow the generation of new solutions and / or applications, aimed at developing new sectors or markets, with entrepreneurs having a predominant role in this. AgTech solutions can have a positive impact in the fight against poverty, the sustainable use of resources and the adaptation / mitigation of climate change.
The technological solution
Technological tool that allows the integration of geospatial, meteorological, edaphic and productive data to generate alerts of productive problems and support the decision-making of fruit producers, with a view to increasing levels of performance and / or efficiency in the use of resources.
- Generate an open access collaborative computer tool OpenFruit, for small fruit growers and fruit advisers in Chile and Costa Rica.
- Increase 15% of the productivity of the fruit family systems of Chile (blueberries and other berries) and Costa Rica (orange and papaya).
- Increase the efficiency of resource use (water and fertilizers) by 20% in the family fruit systems of Chile and Costa Rica.
- 130 small berry / berry producers (blueberry and raspberry) from Chile.
- 140 small producers of orange and papaya from Costa Rica.
- 2000 real and potential users of the OpenFruit platform.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Universidad de La Frontera (UFRO) - Chile
- Instituto de Investigaciones Agropecuarias (INIA) - Chile
- Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA) - Argentina
- Universidad de Costa Rica (UCR) - Costa Rica
- Universidad de Talca (UTALCA) - Chile
- Empresa de Capación Tecnológica Agrícola Limitada (CAPACITED LTDA) - Chile
- Cooperativa Silvoagropecuaria y de Servicios de Loncoche (LONCOFRUT) - Chile
- Asociación de Pymes de Software (AP Software) de Chile (APSoftware) - Chile
- BIOFUTURO LTDA (BIOFUTURO LTDA) - Chile
- Cooperativa Cerro Azul R.L. de Costa Rica (Coopecerroazul R.L.) - Costa Rica
- Instituto de Desarrollo Agropecuario (INDAP) - Chile
- Cooperativa Parrita Tropical R.L. de Costa Rica (Coopeparrita Tropical R.L. ) - Costa Rica