Agroecological model for avian coccidiosis
Avian coccidiosis is an intestinal parasitosis that causes sanitary problems in poultry farms. It is caused by an intestinal parasite of the genus Eimeria that is highly contagious and produces great economic losses in both meat and egg production. At the industrial level, its control is carried out with biosecurity measures, management, live vaccines and antimicrobials. Although vaccination is effective in industrial poultry, family producers do not use it as a sustainable strategy due to its high cost. In addition, drugs used at an industrial level cause environmental contamination and can leave residues in products for human consumption with the consequent possible toxic effect for consumers. In the field of family farming, there are no formal reports of the parasite species that affect birds and their determination is essential for decision-making regarding prevention and treatment; therefore, it is essential to generate the necessary knowledge to understand the problem and develop an agroecological model to effectively control this disease.
The technological solution
Research for the adequate management of coccidiosis through the breeding under animal welfare practices, the sustainable management of natural resources and the use of probiotics.
- Implement an innovation network to promote poultry as a development tool in Latin America.
- Increase profits from family poultry production by 10-20%.
- Increase the weight of the bird to slaughter by 15%.
- Improve feed conversion by 10%.
- Reduce 80% of bird mortality.
- Survey of family poultry establishments
- Farm georeferencing
- Seasonal sampling
- Coccidiosis Diagnoses
- Occurrence of circulating species
- 60,000 poultry family-farmers in the involved regions of Argentina and Chile.
- 1500 technicians, veterinarians and students in Argentina and Chile.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Fundación ArgenINTA (ARGENINTA) - Argentina
- Instituto Nacional de Tecnología Agropecuaria (INTA) - Argentina
- Universidad de Chile (UCHILE) - Chile
- Universidad Mayor de Chile (UMAYOR) - Chile
- Universidad Nacional de Luján (UNLU) - Argentina