FONTAGRO-PROADAPT Articulation. Livestock in the Gran Chaco
The Gran Chaco Americano represents the second largest forest region in Latin America after the Amazon jungle and is shared between Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia and a small part of Brazil. The climatic vulnerability studies of the Gran Chaco foresee significant impacts in the next three decades, particularly due to the greater risk of droughts and floods according to the different areas and the increase in extreme climatic phenomena. This climatic variability is already affecting production systems, with loss of agro-productivity and reduction in the quality and availability of water, so there is an urgent need to accelerate the creation of new capacities, instruments, knowledge, and production and marketing models that allow the producers of the Gran Chaco and its ecosystems reduce their vulnerability.
PROADAPT is a regional initiative financed between the Multilateral Investment Fund (MIF) and the Nordic Development Fund (FND) in the amount of US $ 11.9 million to help micro, small and medium-sized companies adapt to climate change and access opportunities for green business.
The project proposes South-South cooperation for the exchange of knowledge and experiences on resilience in the face of climate change, in which organizations from Paraguay, Bolivia and Argentina will participate. The objective is to develop a proposal that increases the resilience of small producers and poor communities in the Great American Chaco.
- Design a proposal for participation of the national research institutes of Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay in the different components of the PROADAPT Project.
- Integrate the national research institutes of Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay into the project execution plan led by AVINA.
Small farmers in the Gran Chaco and its ecosystems that will reduce their vulnerability to climate change.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Instituto Nacional de Tecnología Agropecuaria (INTA) - Argentina
- Instituto Nacional de Innovación Agropecuaria y Forestal (INIAF) - Bolivia
- Instituto Paraguayo de Tecnología Agraria (IPTA) - Paraguay