AhoRa: Application for family farming of musaceae
Latin America and the Caribbean provide around 80% of all banana and plantain sales in the world, which represents more than 16 million tons of fruit. Much of the production is in the hands of small farmers whose income barely allows them to support the production of their small farms. The sustainability of production is at risk in the face of an increasing frequency of climatic events such as cold and heat waves, out-of-season droughts and excessive rains that delay or advance the productive rhythm. The objective of this project is to develop a low-cost digital platform that captures, analyzes and performs climate projections that reduces the vulnerability of small producers to climate events and supports decision-making to carry out efficient, resilient agronomic management, which generate an increase in productivity and reduction of losses caused by physiological defects caused by delays in the growth, flowering and harvesting of the fruit.
The technological solution
A computer platform, available on the web, with mobile applications that converts local climate data into projections of growth, flowering and harvesting of bananas together with a business model in order to support the operation of the application called ° AHoRa.
- Develop a mobile application (°AHoRa) to support decision-making in the management of small banana plantations in the region.
- Increase the production of fruit boxes per hectare by 10-15%.
- Reduce production cost by $ 0.25 USD per box.
- 6000 banana producers in Peru.
- 1500 banana producers in the Dominican Republic.
- 1000 banana producers in Colombia.
- 81 producer associations in Peru, the Dominican Republic and Colombia.
- 363 technicians and researchers from Peru, the Dominican Republic and Colombia.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Corporación Colombiana de Investigación Agropecuaria (AGROSAVIA) - Colombia
- Instituto Dominicano de Investigaciones Agropecuarias y Forestales (IDIAF) - República Dominicana
- Instituto Nacional de Innovación Agraria (INIA) - Perú
- Universidad de Piura (UDEP) - Perú
- Asociación de Bananos Ecológicos de la Línea Noroeste – Banelino (BANELINO) - República Dominicana
- Dirección Regional de Agricultura de Piura (DRAP) - Perú
- AGROSOFT S.A (AGROSOFT) - Perú
- Cooperativa Agraria APBOSMAM (APBOSMAM) - Perú
- Asociación de Productores de Banano Orgánico Valle del Chira (AVACH) - Perú
- Asociación de Bananeros del Magdalena y la Guajira (ASBAMA) - Colombia
- Universidad Tecnológica de Santiago (UTESA) - República Dominicana