Honduras has been member of FONTAGRO since 2005 with a contribution of US$ 2.5 million, and has participated in 21 consortiums for US$ 15.3 million, of which US$ 3.7 million were contributed by FONTAGRO and other agencies. Honduras has led 1 consortium for US$ 0.2 million. The projects in which Honduras have participated have included research and development for the cultivation of coffee, corn, beans, potatoes, livestock, among others.
Some important results:
- Studies have been carried out on the management and control of potato psilido (Bactericerca cockerelli), associated with the purple tip.
- Sixteen clones of the LBHT (Late Blight and Heat Tolerance) population have been introduced as alternatives to adapt to climate change in the mumps areas and to expand to other areas.
- Four hybrids and varieties of corn with tolerance to drought and resistance to ear rot have been identified.
- 34 improved potato accessions from CIP, Chile and Argentina were introduced.
- A diagnosis was made on the capacity of the country for the production of potato seed.
- Technicians were trained in the multiplication of improved potato seeds through tissue cultures, aeroponic systems and the hydroponic autotrophic system.
- A laboratory was implemented for the production of improved potato seedlings under the hydroponic autotrophic system.
- The platforms increased the efficiency and effectiveness of research and innovation, strengthening the capacities of researchers.
- Technical, organizational and institutional strengthening at national and international level.
- Access to partnerships for projects with the International Center for the Improvement of Maize and Wheat (CIMMYT), International Potato Center (CIP), CATIE, SICTA – IICA, PROMECAFE, ICAFÉ-Costa Rica, UNICAFÉ – Nicaragua, IRD France, INTA – Argentina, INIA – Chile, CORPOICA – Colombia, etc. Through them we have also obtained access to multiple international cooperation networks such as the Latin Potato Network where institutions from more than 11 countries participate at a global level, PROMECAFE, SICTA, the CGIAR, etc.
- The FONTAGRO projects generate privileged and free access to technologies, contacts, publications, case studies and international networks.